I want to have six children. I have always wanted a big family, and when Ben and I got married, we agreed that six sounds like a nice number. All right, we actually wanted more initially but my first pregnancy kind of scared us. Besides, I want to be done before I turn thirty. Yeah, before. I have plenty of reasons behind my choice, but I’ll limit it to the top five.
1. Youth. Frankly, pregnancy is difficult. Since I have a family history of pregnancy complications, I am hoping that starting and finishing young will keep them away.
2. Money. Since we don’t have money, our options are limited. It’s great! I don’t worry about setting up a nursery, buying cool toys, or getting new clothes. I shop at used stores and set up the Pac N’ Plays in our tiny second bedroom when new babies arrive! The awesome thing is, the babies don’t care. Heck, they’d sleep in a box if I let them. (Which I don’t. Obviously.)
3. Travel. We don’t travel (reason # 2) But, because we are young (reason #1), the last kid will leave the house by the time we are fifty. Fifty. That leaves Ben and me plenty of time for world traveling. And we will even have money to spend.
4. Education. I graduated with my bachelor’s degree and plan on pursuing a Masters sometime in the future. Because I am young (reason #1), my options are not limited. Once Ben is established in his career, the kids will have started school, and I will have time to attend classes.
5. Health. My body bounces back quickly after each pregnancy. It helps that I only gain 15-20 pounds. (Hyperemesis Gravidarum does have its positive points.) I actually weigh less now than before I was married. I know that as I age, this may change, but I am counting on reason #1 to keep my body in line.
Ahh, who am I kidding. The real reason is that I want more just like these two.